Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua is aware that volunteerism is one of the foundational elements that helps develop a healthy, thriving society. As a youth football coach and mentor serving with Big Brothers Big Sisters in New York City, Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua is dedicated to empowering others to take up volunteer opportunities in a capacity that reinvigorates and supports worthy causes in New York City and beyond. Alex Davies knows that the following reasons are just a few benefits on a very long list of reasons why everyone should consider volunteering.
- Volunteering fills gaps that a capitalist society cannot always fill. There are too many worthy organizations that simply need assistance that will not be able to fund a paying position, and volunteerism helps make it possible for these entities to continue doing their good work without going under, such as homeless shelters or soup kitchens. It’s simply good for society.
- Volunteering can open up new career options. For those who are looking to become career changers, donating your time to an organization or cause that you are interested in can help you develop both the skills and the network that you may need to begin a new job.
- Donating your time to a cause that you’re passionate about connects you with other like-minded people. Volunteering together is an excellent way to build community and rally together to support a greater cause.
Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua is devoted to creating a safer, healthier environment for New York City’s youth. Alex Davies is an assembly technician at a respected food processing company and hopes to hold a management position one day.
Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua knows that for children, participating in youth sports can be an empowering experience that helps shape and build character. As a youth football coach in New York City, he is passionate about providing the most enjoyable experience possible for his athletes by keeping the following in mind:
- The best coaches cultivate a safe learning environment. Shame and embarrassment should never, under any circumstances, be used as learning tools. Helping children feel comfortable to make mistakes and learn from them is key, and fear only serves to stunt that necessary growth.
- Excellent coaches use the sport as a vehicle for teaching life lessons. All sports, in one way or another, are a reflection of the real world and how to function successfully within it. Having the opportunity to learn how to work with others harmoniously is valuable both on and off the field, and empowering children to make good choices can be practiced each day.
- Effective coaches are focused on helping their athletes love the game. Healthy competition always plays a role, but playing for the love of the game should be the priority. The best coaches know not to confuse this with ego and pride, which happens often and only serves to alienate athletes.
- Great coaches use a variety of methods to adapt to different learning styles. Your athletes will have different needs and different ways of interpreting information, and it’s important that coaches are able to explain the same thing in five different ways, much like teachers.
Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua continues to deepen his understanding and approach as a coach.
Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua, a team lead at a highly successful New York-Based food processing company, knows that there is both a science and an art to effective team leadership. Having been promoted in 2015 to a leadership position, he understands the importance of promoting efficiency while focusing on supporting those on his team by using the following methods:
- Excellent team leaders know that communication is key. Both written and verbal communication skills are necessary to create a smooth and streamlined environment with high performance. Each team member should know exactly what they should be doing and how they should be doing it as a result of successful instruction and delegation. When any errors in communication take place, team leaders know to handle the situation promptly and respectfully.
Efficient team leaders should be strategic and set their members up for success. Having excellent organization skills is crucial to being able to see all of the moving parts at once to discern how they all fit together.
- The best team leaders always treat their team members with respect, regardless of the situation. By encouraging and empowering employees to work creatively and diligently, team leaders seek to support instead of dictate. Managing situations with a high level of emotional intelligence and sensitivity increases the likelihood of team members feeling heard and understood.
Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua is fascinated by the psychology of leadership and hopes to hold a management position one day at his current company. He has worked in the manufacturing industry since graduating from high school.
Click here to know about the attributes of Successful Manufacturing Companies.