Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua is aware that volunteerism is one of the foundational elements that helps develop a healthy, thriving society. As a youth football coach and mentor serving with Big Brothers Big Sisters in New York City, he is dedicated to empowering others to take up volunteer opportunities in a capacity that reinvigorates and supports worthy causes in New York City and beyond. He knows that the following reasons are just a few benefits on a very long list of reasons why everyone should consider volunteering.
- Volunteering fills gaps that a capitalist society cannot always fill. There are too many worthy organizations that simply need assistance that will not be able to fund a paying position, and volunteerism helps make it possible for these entities to continue doing their good work without going under, such as homeless shelters or soup kitchens. It’s simply good for society.
- Volunteering can open up new career options. For those who are looking to become career changers, donating your time to an organization or cause that you are interested in can help you develop both the skills and the network that you may need to begin a new job.
- Donating your time to a cause that you’re passionate about connects you with other like-minded people. Volunteering together is an excellent way to build community and rally together to support a greater cause.
Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua is devoted to creating a safer, healthier environment for New York City’s youth. He is an assembly technician at a respected food processing company and hopes to hold a management position one day.
Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua, a team lead at a highly successful New York-Based food processing company, knows that there is both a science and an art to effective team leadership. Having been promoted in 2015 to a leadership position, he understands the importance of promoting efficiency while focusing on supporting those on his team by using the following methods:
- Excellent team leaders know that communication is key. Both written and verbal communication skills are necessary to create a smooth and streamlined environment with high performance. Each team member should know exactly what they should be doing and how they should be doing it as a result of successful instruction and delegation. When any errors in communication take place, team leaders know to handle the situation promptly and respectfully.
Efficient team leaders should be strategic and set their members up for success. Having excellent organization skills is crucial to being able to see all of the moving parts at once to discern how they all fit together.
- The best team leaders always treat their team members with respect, regardless of the situation. By encouraging and empowering employees to work creatively and diligently, team leaders seek to support instead of dictate. Managing situations with a high level of emotional intelligence and sensitivity increases the likelihood of team members feeling heard and understood.
Alex Davies Waruingi Mbugua is fascinated by the psychology of leadership and hopes to hold a management position one day at his current company. He has worked in the manufacturing industry since graduating from high school.